Sunday, July 8, 2012

Lunch at Olivia's

After church today we took Ellen's mother out for lunch to Olivia's located on Baltimore Pike between Gettysburg and Littlestown. http://www.olivias.biz/  https://www.facebook.com/oliviasrestaurant This restaurant started out as a diner style restaurant called The Honey Bee with soups, meat and potatoes style fare with a good crowd for breakfast.  Talking to Harry Tassou (proprietor and chef) they have been open for 22 years and still going strong.  Now they have expanded, along with changing their name to Olivia's. Outside seating and a back yard bar serving the regular bar fare of wings and tapas.  The wings which, I have had as well were great and done a few different ways from hot, bbq and even Old Bay style.  Greek food is large on their menu as is the pasta and seafood.  I have had the Seafood Stew there a few times and love it.  They serve the table with a small loaf of bread and hummus, which is a great way to start out a dinner.  Being vegan, Ellen loves it.  She also enjoys their salads that are served in a large bread bowl with a great house dressing on the side.  If I get a salad I go for the Village Greek salad with the stuffed grape leaves.  Talking with Harry, he mentioned growing up in Baltimore and being Greek was a major force behind him changing the menu to what it is today.  After telling him my mother-in-law had the crab cake salad and how good it was with very little breading and packed with crab, he said "Being from Baltimore you better know how to make a crab cake, there is no excuse."   Next time I visit, I will ask him to fix a plate that he would recommend for me that is either on or off the menu.  I told him about my blog and asked his permission to post this.  Hope you all found it helpful and will consider trying his food. Thank you all for reading. God bless and see you at the table.

Soft shell crab sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment