Friday, November 9, 2012

Deer Heart

Well I did it.  My father shot his first deer for the year the other day and I had him save me the heart and liver for me to cook up for the first time.  I grew up on deer meat and love it.  From steaks, burgers and steak subs.  They may be the same meat from the same animal but just like beef it all depends on the cut.  I have never had heart and wanted to try it either from a cow or a deer so when he  got his first of the year I had him save it for me.  I will be honest.  I had him save the liver as well and you will see that in the pictures but when I cut it and smelled it, it had the smell of bile. Not something I wanted to eat so I skipped it.  Even my mother said it did not smell good so she agreed with me.  What I did first was take the outer film off the heart so it would not be tough.  I washed it really well after then sliced it in half, cleaned out the valves and any lose blood.  After cleaning it I sliced the heart in strips and put it in a bag to soak in the flavor of the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  I like my steak rare but with the heart I wanted to make sure it was cooked well since I am not use to eating it.  After searing it on both sides it browned up a bit.  After plating it I added a little A1 sauce on the side for dipping.  Verdict, would I eat it again?  Yes.  The prep was the hardest part but the taste was good. It was tender and kept the flavor. You can see by the pictures that it had very little fat and what little it did have I cut it off before cooking.  What is going to be on my plate next?  I have no clue but you will be sure to know as soon as I find something good.  God bless, thanks for reading and see you at the tables.

Heart and Liver

Heart and saw

Heart with arrow hole

Heart plated

Heart sliced

No comments:

Post a Comment