Friday, June 15, 2012

Foods Bizarre Foods


In the past I had a few foods that I was not able to blog about so I thought why not now.  Some of these may seem very strange and gross to many of you but I always wanted to try them and living in the area that I do they are not offered in any of the restaurants’.  So the best way to have them is to make them myself.  So I set out and made them.
The first is cow tongue (pictures 1 and 2).  I cooked this in a slow cooker with onions for about 6 hours.  After cooking I skinned, sliced it and then served it (to only myself much to my dismay) 3 different ways.  BBQ, plane with horse radish and one with just mayo.  It tasted much like roast beef with a more greasy flavor.
Second is Rocky Mt. oysters aka bull balls. (Pictures 3-5).  I got these fresh from a local farm thanks a church member. Thanks Nick.  Not knowing how to fix these I looked them up on the internet and went to work.  I started by skinning them.  After skinning I was left with just the inner tissue which was very soft almost like brains.  I sliced them in thin strips, soaked them in some milk and a beaten egg. I found out later that they slice better if they are frozen and then cut.   From there I put them in a bag of bread crumbs, salt and pepper.  I had the pan heating on the oven with some olive oil and dropped them in till they were brown.  They tasted great with the texture of fried oysters.
The third is Twice baked potatoes with crab meat (Picture 6).  I baked the potatoes first till they were done.  Taking them out and letting the cool just a little I sliced and gutted them of the meat and left the skin intact.  I mixed in crab claw meat some cheddar cheese and  old bay.  I then restuffed the shells and toped them with more cheddar cheese and old bay, placed them back in the oven at 350 till the tops were brown and the cheese was melted. There are a few other dishes that I will hold off till later but for now these will do.  I hope you all enjoy the dishes and will if given a chance try to either cook or order one of these dishes.  I told Ellen my goal is to have this blog get around in the net community and maybe some day I will be known for it.  To be able to drop my name and get to go back and see how the meals are made before I eat them.  I know this is just a dream but we all have them don’t we? So If you are reading this and enjoy it pass it along for others that I can not reach.  God bless you all, thank you and happy eating.


Cow tongue cooking
Tongue 3 different ways




Bull Balls
Bull ball skinned
Bull ball fried
Twice baked crab Potatoes




No comments:

Post a Comment