Saturday, March 29, 2014

Farmers market delight

On a suggestion from a friend (thanks Adam) I went to the Amish Market of Hanover Pa for lunch. He said one of the stands had the best Mac and Cheese he has ever had.  So of course I had to find out for myself. I did a quick walk through of the market and saw some great looking foods but I was there for one thing. After finding the Varsity Fine Delicatessen where they have pit beef, subs, soups and sides I sat at the bar and ordered. The beef smelled so good as did the pork and other dishes cooking. The waitress came over and I ordered the combo plater of a pit sandwich, a side and a drink. I got the mac and cheese as my side. Watching them cook was great entertainment. As I started taking pictures I was busted by the owner so I introduce myself. He was super friendly and even let me behind the counter to take a close up of his cooking. The meat is done outside but the stove is where mac and cheese was. Each order was to order. He did not like letting it get old and stale so each order was pan heated. Three cheese and 5 seasons one of which was garlic. The pit beef was cooked perfect for me, rare. The side was amazing. So creamy and steaming hot. Large elbow noodles, a great amount of cheese and seasoned perfect. If you ever go please give them your business. Also the Susquehannock Fruits and Vegetables. They have everything pickled. I got peach butter, horseradish mustard and pickled spicy garlic cloves. The last is amazing. Never had them before and I think I am going to have to hide them from myself or I will eat the entire jar. Would I go back. You got that right. If I could I would eat there every weekend. God bless, thanks for reading, support local and see you at the markets. http://amish-markets.com 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been getting emails that you were still posting, so i am catching up this weekend. I am more of a vegetarian now (only because vegan cheese is revolting, so i partake of the real stuff and honey helps my itchy, scratchy throat during allergy season). Regardless, your rare roast beef looks amazing. You know, it was a roast beef sandwich that broke me of my last 10 year vegetarian stint. hmph. Haven't been to the Amish Market yet.

    ReplyDelete