Monday, August 15, 2016

Something for everyone

Last night Ellen made dinner and it was spot on.  We had roasted veggies that consisted of potatoes, onions, peppers, squash, Brussel sprouts, and broccoli.  She baked them in the oven with some garlic powder and other seasonings.  They came out very tender and delicious.  Second she made falafel.  Yes it was from a box but still very good.  She made a dipping sauce for it from scratch with cucumbers from our garden and yogurt.  I did not care for the sauce but she and Banner-Wolf loved it.  We had three different tomatoes from our garden.  They all have a different taste.  I prefer the regular red tomato over the others but believe me they all taste and look amazing.  Nothing like fresh veggies from the garden that you know were not treated with a bunch of chemicals.   Last but not least she made some cornbread.  Not the normal cornbread but peach cornbread with stroodle topping.  It was the best I have ever had.  It was very moist and held together pretty good.  It was more of a dessert than part of a meal but who cares.  I will be eating a piece tomorrow for breakfast with some hot tea.  The crunchy top matched great with the sweet peaches and the corn bread texture.  That was a winning dish in my book.  The peaches were fresh as well.  We just got them from the peach festival we went to that afternoon. 


We had dinner the night before at my parents and they made deer steak subs with tomato from their garden.  The deer was last years kill.  My mother cooks the meat that is sliced thin and melds with the onion in the pan.  There is not a hint of gamey (is that even a word) taste to it.  Everyone that has tried it not knowing it was deer never had a clue till they were told and by that time they were hooked.  I topped mine with salad dressing, lettuce and tomato.  This is what we all look forward to in the summer.  We do eat the same subs all year long but the fresh tomato makes it great.  You can top your anyway you want but in my opinion the more you put on it the more you mask the flavor of the meat.  Add a side of potato chips and that is a meal.  I suggest if you ever get a chance to have this sub at my parents do not pass on it because you don’t like deer meat.  You will be sorry. But hey, more for us if you don’t want one.  I will not complain about eating your share.  That’s it for now.  God bless, thanks for reading and see you at the table.  

No comments:

Post a Comment