Saturday, May 26, 2012

Home Quick Fry


Today I made a few fried things in the deep fryer my father got at a yard sale for $3.  Never been used but once according to the seller.  It was spotless and heats the oil to a nice 375 degrees and has a timer.  It’s not a huge thing but it does the job very nicely.  Ok on with what we made.  First off we made fried pickles.  I made the batter like a tempura batter.  Ice water (with cubes in the water), one egg beaten well and flour to thicken the batter.  Not to thick but runny so it does not coat the pickles to the point that it drowned out the flavor of the dills.  So along with the pickles  we made fried asparagus fresh of their garden cut this morning.  That turned out very well.  The first batch I did not cook too long.  I wanted a little crisp to the stalk.  The second batch I cooked a little more so that it was soft when you bit into the middle.  The last thing we fried was yellow squash.  This came out very nice but did not have the taste of squash.  I will try it again when the squash is fresh from our garden.  All in all they all turned out very well for my first time doing the pickles, asparagus and squash.  I have fried other stuff in the past.  Shrimp, a Cadbury egg (amazing flavor), French fries, a solid chocolate rabbit and a few other things.  With Ellen being vegan I made some batter with no egg so she could enjoy it as well.  We did many veggies and flavored the batter with some spice to give it a little heat.




So that was my lunch today.  Why pay for the stuff when you can make it at home and flavor it how you want it.  With being on a low salt diet I am able to adjust the amount where in a restaurant I am at their mercy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment