Sunday, February 1, 2015

Meat and Vegan meals for all

I usually don't like to combine my blog posts but this one has to be done.  Two meals in the same day that were completely different I had to spotlight them in a single post.  The first was the deer back strap I made.  It was marinated in soy sauce for a few months.  It was frozen so I had to defrost it first.  Onions, hot pepper flakes, spinach and garlic were added when I was cooking it.  I made a spicy horse radish honey mustard for dipping.  It was spot on.  I did over cook the deer but with wild game it is not good to under cook it.  I do like my meat rare but I did this by accident and cooked it a bit too long.  It still turned out.  Nice lunch for me.

The second was a dinner on a whim.  Ellen had class and I was going to fix dinner.  She said to me before she left that I always make the same things so make something different.  So I did.  She had some frozen fake fish in the freezer so I took that out.  I got two cans of diced tomatoes, diced an onion, added salt, pepper, sugar, spinach and celery seed.  I toasted a few pieces of her homemade bread to add at the end of cooking.  Stewed tomatoes was the side along with a vegan mac and cheese.  I used her provolone and cheddar cheese (vegan) and her unsweetened almond milk and a little vegan butter.  I cooked the elbow mac and had that sitting on the side while i waited till she got home.  Walking through the door I made her leave the kitchen so it would be a surprise.  I added the cheeses, milk and butter and started the melting.  I was surprised how smooth it came out.  She sad down to eat and when I served her she was loving it.  She has been scared to make the mac and cheese but at my first attempt it turned out well.  Not perfect.  It was creamy and tasty but she added some salt to hers and a little paprika.  If she had different cheesed I would  have used them as well.  The mac and cheese along with the stewed tomatoes were great together.  Just like mom would make as a kid.  Her fish was good as well. She said this is what comfort food is and ate every last bite.  I did good on my first try.  So don't let a little thing like never making something stop you.  You have the talent just jump in and cook.  I do that all the time.  God bless, thanks for reading and eat long and prosper.


No comments:

Post a Comment